Wednesday, February 11, 2015

recent reads

This book is about 9 young men who came together to win the 1936 Olympic gold medal in Nazi Germany. But this book is not just about rowing. The author includes interesting stories about Germany and Hitler's rise to power, the Dust Bowl, the Great Depression and the life of one particular rower, Joe Rantz. I will say that I ended up skimming over the detailed parts about rowing, because I have absolutely no interest in that. But overall, this was a very fascinating read and very well written.

I've read many books on the holocaust and this is definitely one of my favorites. It is the true story of Corrie Ten Boom and her family who helped hide Jews from the Nazis during the German occupation of Holland. This is an amazing, inspiring book! Truly a must read.

1 comment:

Baby Boomer Grammy said...

Thanks for your wonderful book suggestions!