Wednesday, April 6, 2011

recent reads...


i loved this book! it's a story about a girl who is the only daughter of seven children growing up in a small Texas town at the turn of the century. i loved reading about all her adventures. i definitely recommend it.


this book is so fascinating! it is the incredible true story of the whaleship essex that was attacked by a whale, causing it to sink and its crew to resort to cannibalism to survive more than 90 days at sea before being rescued. this is a tremendous story of survival and adventure. this disaster was infact the inspiration for the book Moby Dick.

2 comments:

Tracy said...

Jerel read the story of the Essex and you're right--fascinating and very sad.

Calpurnia sounds good too. I'm going to put it on my TBR list.
I have been reading The Saxon Tales by Bernard Cromwell. I just got book 4. It is absolutely phenomenal. I don't know if Vikings and Britons at war are your cup of tea, but if not, Dan may enjoy them.

I am also reading the series of The Forest of Hands and Teeth, and hands down it is one of my favorite post-apocalyptic series.

Anyway--gotta run--hugs to all! ;D

Baby Boomer Grammy said...

I love Nathaniel philbrick! Heart of the Sea is next on my reading list. (I'll for sure read that other book you mentioned) Since your 10th great grandfather is the Pilgrim, William Brewster, you've got to read Philbrick's book, Mayflower. I just finished it -- great book, learned so much I didn't know.